Getting closer

I’m getting close to finishing the brake disc swap on the front of the Range Rover. I did have two disappointments though. With the brakes.

The brake caliper (ka-liper if you are German) on the right front had to be replaced. I attempted to rebuild them in the Restoration Part Uno. No matter how much effort I gave it I could not make the right front stop leaking. I’m guessing the bits were just too worn out. In any event, I replaced it with a new one. I’m pretty sure it came from Atlantic British.

So as I’m pulling the calipers off and the brake pads out, out falls one of the outer retainer rings for one of the pistons. I’m like, “WHAT THE HELL? Where did that come from?” Just then the brake pad in my hand separated. The asbestos bit came loose from the metal backing plate. So again I’m like, “WHAT THE HELL?”

I can’t tell you how disappointed I was. First that I didn’t keep my receipts/invoices. Second that a new part failed like that. Thirdly, I’m wondering if the word QUALITY is even in some people’s dictionaries.

So I take a look at the ring, yep, it was rusted all to hell. I then took it over to the bench grinder and polished off the rust the best I could. I got the Dremel out and put a mini wire wheel on it and got the inside bit rust-free as well. Then I needed to figure out a way to get it pressed back in.

I put the ring in place and using the metal backing plate and a large C and pressed it in. It is the dust seal for that caliper cylinder so I’m confident it will be okay. But seriously, what is going on? I’ve never seen a brake pad fail like that. I’ve heard of it, but never seen it.

With that little side project complete I had totally spent myself and gave up for the day. For the day I got the left front brake disc done and totally re-greased the bearings. I broke yet another tool on this part of the project.

I am not what people would call a “muscle man”. My entire life I’ve been cursed with exceptionally long arms and making those puppies muscular escaped me. I think I can wrench with the best of them but when it gets to stuck I rely on the levers and cheater pipes like anyone would. So I’m breaking the bolts loose on the brake disc and snap, I broke a socket. It’s a Craftsman and if they honor their warranty I’ll be bringing home a sack full of tools from this rebuild.

Sitting in my sister’s lap 1967 Guam, USA  

So far, a standard screwdriver, two punches, and a 16mm 1/2 inch drive socket have sacrificed themselves on the alter of the Range Rover gods. I’ve got to get them all together and take them down to Sears and get replacements. The socket was bought while we were on Guam to work on the Volkswagon type 2. So it’s been to Guam and back to Oklahoma. In its life it has circumnavigated the globe and is likely older than 90% of the people working at our Sears today. But I’m going to make them replace it.

So this weekend is finishing the right front disc brake and replacing the brake fluid reservoir and hopefully bleeding the brakes. Then its on to the viscous coupling! Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy.

Thanks for reading and Happy Rovering.

I love to hear from my readers, leave a reply

%d bloggers like this: