It’s been a long time since I have posted. I don’t have to tell you what a weird world this has been the last year. It’s still not “normal”. Maybe it will never be again. Who knows….
Let me catch you up. The house is still being remodeled. That has consumed quite a bit of my personal time. We’ve lost some cherished loved ones this last year. We’ve added a new grandson. Mrs. Okierover and I have been blessed that we still have jobs. There is something about being an “essential” employee that has its blessings. Banking and nursing have been good career paths for us.
The Big White Bus is in a state of disassembly.
In January of 2020, I started on the heater box. Then my funding dried up. We have had to replace the heat pump and the roof on this house all in 2020. We’ve tried to be careful with our money too with possible job uncertainty lurking around every corner.
I’ve been taking stock of all the things I need to repair at this stage. I’m probably leaving something off but here’s a list of what I can come up with off the top of my head:
- Heater Fan. I have the fan installed. I need all the ancillary gaskets.
- New heater hoses. I’ve got it apart, might as well do them now.
- Air conditioning hoses. There’s a leak somewhere and these hoses are original OEM from the factory. No way they are still good.
- AC compressor, dryer, everything. Tired old components need to be replaced.
- Clunky steering column. The bearing is shot I guess but it needs to be pulled and sorted.
- Battery drain. I suspect it is the alternator again. I get replacements free for life from NAPA. I’m not sure I won’t go with something else more “sturdy”.
- Ignition system. I need this system to be bullet proof. I’m going to replace the distributor and all the components again. I haven’t decided on which one yet.
- Power steering leak. Still having issues with this. At least its a slow leak.
- Left front brake caliper. There was wetness on the inside when I parked her in the shoppe. Investigation is needed.
- Gas gauge uncertainty. The new fuel pump install has the gas gauge reporting varying levels of petrol. I can drive 150 miles on the second half of the tank. The float needs to be adjusted.
- Radio and sound system. I’ve sourced a unit that I will be able to tie my phone to that won’t break the bank.
- Seat covers. The leather is toast. This could be expensive. I’m thinking a waterproof replacement like what Ford is delivering with the new Broncos.
- The D pillars need to be stripped and repainted. The vinyl is toast, too much Oklahoma sun.
I could probably list half a dozen “upgrades” like skid plates, lockers, new carpets, refurbishing the plastic bits. I still haven’t replaced my rear bumper from the last time a jackass distracted driver hit me. I’m sure I could list a dozen more. The Big White Bus is really showing her 250,000+ miles and she needs a facelift.
I’d like to say 2021 will be better than 2020. But honestly, I don’t have a lot of hope for any sector. Funding will improve this year I’m sure of it. We have major repairs required in the guest bathroom. The drain line under the tub has to be replaced. The master bath still has not been remodeled.
First world problems right?
Thanks for Reading and Happy Rovering.