Transfer Case Knob Repair (Post #604) 3/14/2023

Looking for the thread specification was pretty easy with a Google search. I stumbled on this thread on “Tex” from Italy states its a M10x1.5. “LanceL” had a novel idea to use a M10 Rivnut.

I decided to use a M10x1.5 nyloc nut. I also bought a bolt to go with it which provides a clean threaded path to the nyloc nut. I also used some of my supply of Dr. Crafty Clear Epoxy Resin []. As you will see in the video. I cleaned out the shift knob. I also carved “channels” in the knob to provide “keys” to keep the resin from someday rotating inside the perfectly cylindrical knob.

I then placed the bolt with the nyloc nut on it down inside the knob. Mixed up my resin and poured it in. It took 72 hours to cure. I let it sit for a full week, due to work, and a living history camping trip I had planned at Ft. Towson [Oklahoma Historical Society].

This project turned out great. It was easy, didn’t require any tools that most Land Rover owners don’t already own. I was genuinely surprised this actually work as I had hoped it would. Now I can turn to the rest of the 3000+ things I need to do to the Big Whit Bus to get her back on the trail.

This project was a 1 on the Difficulty Scale.

Support me on Patreon if you feel moved.

Thanks for visiting and Happy Rovering.

One Reply to “Transfer Case Knob Repair (Post #604) 3/14/2023”

  1. Check one off the list !!!

    Turned out great. Definitely a 1 on the difficulty scale…if you don’t add impatience anxiety over waiting three days – or a week – for success.

    Also foil might have been a good stabilizer for the knob.

Comments are closed.